1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
½ head of broccoli, divided into florets
1 green pepper, chopped
½ cup barley
½ cup Arborio/risotto rice
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
Juice of half a lime
Half of a low-salt vegetable stock cube
- Cook the onion and crushed garlic in the olive oil (with the lid on) until soft.
- Add the broccoli and green pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the barley and rice and stir in about half a litre of hot water as well as the stock.
- Grind in lots of fresh black pepper.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice and barley begin to get soft.
- Add the basil and the limejuice and cook until the barley is just soft.
Serve it up and enjoy!
Barley has lots of health benefits. It is high in fibre and niacin (a B vitamin), which means it can help lower cholesterol. It is also a good source of selenium, manganese, phosperous, and copper, as well as being high in tryptophan – an essential amino acid that contributes to the production of serotonin and melanin and helps prevent depression and promotes healthy sleep. For more information, see: